Almond Crusted Cod
Cod is a moist and flaky white fish that's a staple in fish and chips, but it's healthier and even more delicious with this almond crust! The crust adds the perfect crunch and nuttiness without weighing you down. Paired with herby quinoa and bursts of seasoned tomatoes, this seafood dish is a flavor-packed meal that's simple and delicious for you and your family!
- 1 ½ Pounds Cod, about 4 1-inch thick pieces
- ½ Cup Almond Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Flakes, dried and unsweetened
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Large Eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- ¼ Cup Pine Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 Cup Kale Leaves, removed from stems and roughly chopped
- ⅛ Cup Dill, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
Steps to Prepare
- In a medium-sized pot, bring chicken or vegetable broth to a boil. Add quinoa and stir. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook quinoa for about 12 to 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking, stir almond flour, coconut flakes, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, paprika, and ground black pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour beaten egg into a separate bowl and set aside. Pat cod filets down with paper towels to remove any excess water, and coat each filet evenly with the egg. Transfer the cod from egg mixture to flour mixture and coat evenly. Place coated filet onto a plate. Repeat until all fillets have been coated.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in the pan on medium heat. Add the fish to the pan and cook on each side for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. When cooked, cover the fish with foil until ready to serve.
- While the fish is cooking, remove the quinoa from heat and set aside to cool. Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts to toast them by stirring or give pan a shake every few minutes, until nuts are golden brown (about 5 minutes). Pour pine nuts into a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the olive oil into the same sauté pan and return to heat. Add chopped garlic and cook until garlic turns soft, about 2 minutes. Add kale by the handful and stir until it is just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, and nutritional yeast and allow to heat through for about 2 minutes. Add pine nuts and toss to combine. Stir in fresh herbs and place in serving dish of your choice.
- Just before serving your meal, add a tsp of olive oil to a small sauté pan on high heat. Carefully add cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and cook without stirring for 1 minute. Mix gently and cook for one more minute, allowing the tomatoes to brown a bit without breaking apart. Serve immediately alongside cod and quinoa!