Yellow Squash Noodles alla Puttanesca
This is a healthy, low carb twist on classic Puttanesca flavors, just minus the pasta! Yellow squash noodles make for the perfect spaghetti substitute that looks just as good and won't weigh you down.
- 3 Medium Yellow Squash, with ends removed
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Black Olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ Cup Canned Capers, drained
- 2 Cans Tuna (5 oz.), in water and drained
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 3 Leaves Basil, chopped
Steps to Prepare
- Using the spiralizer attachment with the standard blade, spiralize the yellow squash and place it into a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add vegetable stock, and tomato paste and whisk together until the tomato paste is smooth. Increase the heat to medium-high, and allow the sauce to boil. Once it boils, add oregano and red pepper flakes and stir. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has finished cooking, turn off the heat and stir in the olives, capers, and tuna.
- Toss the sauce with the squash noodles, and serve with cherry tomatoes and basil garnish.